Saturday, March 10, 2012

In video game Dragon Age Origins one of the characters says "But now I've sidetracked us. Let's move on."?

In video game Dragon Age Origins one of the characters says "But now I've sidetracked us. Let's move on."? Should he or should he not have said that considering that game setting is something close to medieval age? Does the verb "sidetrack" originate from railroads? (I don't know, cause English is not my native language)In video game Dragon Age Origins one of the characters says "But now I've sidetracked us. Let's move on."?
Yes, it does have a railroad origin. The Online Etymology Dictionary gives 1889 as the first usage with this meaning.
http://www.etymonline.com/index.php?sear…

So if the characters are supposed to be speaking a medieval version of English, then this is what we would call an "anachronism", something that does not fit the time period. On the other hand, if they really were speaking a medieval version of English, players wouldn't be able to understand them. I suspect that all of their dialogue is 20th-21st century English.

No comments:

Post a Comment